The subject of prayer was the topic of discussion at one of our Friday night Forum and Prayer meetings. Although we did not record all the individual discussions and details, we are presenting the basic outline of that discussion. We are hoping that it will be of benefit to you. I know we all received a blessing from those discussions. May God bless you and continue to bless you always.
What is Prayer?
- Prayer is the greatest force in existence.
- Prayer is the reaching out with your hand to find that divine contact with God.
- Prayer, if tinctured ever so slightly with the thought of “Thy Will Be Done”, can return to you with blessings pure and undefiled.
- Prayer is not necessarily a thing of words, though words may clothe it with added power.
Your Prayers Should Not Be
- Meaningless, lifeless, habitual mutterings.
- Selfish and harmful (for your injury or even the injury of others).
- A cry of anguish, despair, and woe is me!
- Trying to change God’s laws to suit your own lusts, greed, and evil ways.
Your Prayers Should Be
- Your soul’s sincere desire, uttered or expressed.
- With feeling, released through that great force contained within the very depths of your own soul.
- Asking in the Spirit.
- Symphonies of selfless gratitude and praise.
Why You Should Pray
- Because the Bible tells us to. It says, “Pray without ceasing.” (1 Thessalonians 5:17)
- To give offerings of love to open up your soul to receive His divine Love and Light.
- To give tributes of love and devotion as required to purify your soul.
- To make the road you are traveling easier to tread because your hand is in God’s hand through prayer.
The Consequence of Not Praying
God cannot look upon sin with the least degree of allowance. As long as you desire your sin more than your desire to fulfill the laws of God, which are the eternal laws of your own progress, just so long will your own progress and happiness be stopped. Without prayer you cannot overcome your sins to continue your progress and happiness.
The Power of Prayer
- Great prayers measure the depth of a man’s feelings, the fiber of his soul, the unselfishness of heart, and his love for God. No man is greater than his power of prayer.
- The power of prayer is in accordance with the individual’s contact with that inner Source of Love and Light at the very throne of God.
- Prayers released by that inner flame of devotion ascend, and with their ascension they lift the sender. In his praying the self is forgotten and his soul finds its way to the very throne of God.
- Prayer, which rises from the center of you, is a song of ecstasy and thanksgiving.
- When singing gratitude and thanks and love and praise become the burden of your prayers then will your power mingle with the powers of heaven to help redeem a world.
How to Make Your Prayers More Effective
- Let your prayers of thanks be symphonies of selfless gratitude and praise and they will reach the HIGHEST without delay and from the highest realm will come the fulfillment of your joy.
- Forget and give up your personal desires, the self, your own individual misfortunes, and your personal wants, in a joy of loving, singing devotion that will banish the darkness.
- Pray that in your prayer offering there might be the power to help bring the great healing to our country and our world.
- Offer yourself and your prayers upon the altar of complete surrender and love for God.